[fluid-dev] Re: CoreMIDI driver changes

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: CoreMIDI driver changes
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:09:35 -0500

On Jan 27, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

Not sure what this means. QSynth is not yet ready to understand the options for the new coremidi driver. It knows the Jack audio driver, though. Jack requires a different client name for each instance, QSynth being aware of this and proposes a different name ("Jack Client Name ID" setup option).

Being a GUI front-end for fluidsynth, qsynth does indeed provide options for the MIDI driver.

Are you using the MIDI Patchbay by Pete Yandell, version 1.0.3 ? mine doesn't
have a MIDI output tab, but has a combo box instead.

Bad choice of words. You're correct, it is a combo box.

The above errors are produced by the Jack audio driver. You need to give a
different client name to each jack instance, using the
setting "audio.jack.id", for instance:

$ fluidsynth -a jack -o audio.jack.id=instance2 -m coremidi -p instance2

Okay, I figured that there must be some kind of option for creating a jack instance. Thanks for the information. (This is pretty straight- forward when using an audio interface like MOTU Traveler.)

Or use the coreaudio driver instead of Jack, to isolate the coremidi tests.

Works great with coreaudio too :-)

I'll try this again sometime this week with a MIDI interface

Best wishes.