Re: [fluid-dev] New development

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New development
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:59:34 +0100

Bernat Arlandis i Mañó wrote:
> Josh Green escrigué:
> > On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 22:52 +0100, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> >> I would like to find more time to work on the PortAudio driver, as it
> >> was my plan for ticket #19. I will try, but don't hold your breath.
> >>
> >> You are right: there is already a PortAudio driver, but it doesn't
> >> compile with PortAudio V19. This version includes ASIO support (Mac OSX
> >> and Windows), so we don't need to write another driver for it. Do you
> >> agree?
>
> Pedro, I think you didn't like my comment in ticket #19. I thought this
> ticket was just a heads up so we would know about this broken driver. I
> didn't know you were interested on this, so please don't take offense
> because I took for granted that it wasn't important for anybody.

Don't worry, no problem. No offense at all.

> Since you might be working soon on this and have better knowledge, I
> hope you could answer some questions. Do you think this driver could
> replace the supported ones without loosing any functionality? If the
> answer is positive, do you think this could work well?

I don't think so. Seems that the PortAudio driver would be useful only to
Windows users, where FluidSynth has only a DirectSound driver with huge
latency problems. For this platform PortAudio provides ASIO and WinMM audio
drivers. There was also a WDM KS driver, but I don't know about the current
status of it. I don't know if this business would be a success or a failure
at all, before testing it. Even if PortAudio is not near our (high)
expectations, I would like to give it an opportunity.

Regards,
Pedro