Re: [fluid-dev] One output per channel

From: Bernat Arlandis i Mañó
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] One output per channel
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:32:14 +0100

Ebrahim Mayat escrigué:
Also, I've fixed the reverb and chorus effects in multichannel mode so they're applied to every channel, instead of mixing the effects separately.

This would be a powerful feature allowing for inserts directly from
fluidsynth into a live mix. Would this entail a significant CPU
overhead ?
Even so, this could still be very effective on dual- and multi-core
machines.
It scales pretty well, the reverb/chorus processing time multiplies by the number of channels, but still acceptable. With all 16 channels I got around 70% CPU load in my tests with an AMD64 2Ghz. There's some room for improvement since the reverb and chorus units take a constant amount of CPU even when the channel is idle. Setting up less channels speeds things up.
Could LADSPA plugins be easily incorporated in the same way as the
chorus and reverb effects in multichannel mode or would this require a
major overhaul ? In other words, how do fluid reverb/chorus and LADSPA
fit in the audio signal chain. I imagine the current signal path to
resemble something like this

noteon --> chorus/reverb --> --> jack output port --> Jack Rack --->
LADSPA --> ALSA ...or is this incorrect ?
I don't understand what you're trying to say. FS does just the first three steps. You can disable reverb/chorus in FS and apply them externally per channel from Jack, with the only drawback that the amount of effects can't be controlled by MIDI then.
I don't see how the two effects ports fit into the whole scheme.
I've removed these. The reverb and chorus effects were getting mixed to these ports instead of being mixed with the audio channels. I don't know what this could be useful. Now the effects are mixed into the corresponding audio channel.
LADSPA functionality in FS could be effective when using FS in live situations
while
for recording LADSPA could be used as inserts or sends from within the host DAW.

I'd like to include support to replace internal reverb/chorus with LADSPA plugins, I guess this is what you mean. Getting back the old LADSPA implementation doesn't seem necessary since there are more user-friendly Jack tools to do the same now, correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó