Re: [fluid-dev] One output per channel

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] One output per channel
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:07:06 -0500

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 16:32 +0100, Bernat Arlandis i Mañó wrote:

> It scales pretty well, the reverb/chorus processing time multiplies by
> the number of channels, but still acceptable. With all 16 channels I got
> around 70% CPU load in my tests with an AMD64 2Ghz. There's some room
> for improvement since the reverb and chorus units take a constant amount
> of CPU even when the channel is idle. Setting up less channels speeds
> things up.

Great, so CPU load can be managed easily.

[snip]
> > LADSPA functionality in FS could be effective when using FS in live
> > situations while
> > for recording LADSPA could be used as inserts or sends from within the host
> > DAW.
> >

> I'd like to include support to replace internal reverb/chorus with
> LADSPA plugins, I guess this is what you mean.  Getting back the old
> LADSPA implementation doesn't seem necessary since there are more
> user-friendly Jack tools to do the same now, correct me if I'm wrong.

I tend to agree since you could rout the audio signal from fluidsynth
--> jack_rack + LADSPA plugin --> jack audio output port

Considering lv2, I am not aware of lv2 support in Jack-Rack though it is
rumored that this support is planned. Since the lv2 implementation is
supposedly more robust than LADSPA [1], it could prove to be an asset to
FS.

Markus? Would you agree ?

Perhaps, Josh has another take on this.

[1] http://lv2plug.in