Re: [fluid-dev] New branch

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New branch
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:14:00 -0800

Hello,

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 02:05 +0100, Bernat Arlandis i Mañó wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've started the new branch and committed the changes I was doing. Not
> much new, just playing around trying to learn and fix some things. You
> might want to review it for possible inclusion of some of the fixes in
> 1.0.9 (or later versions) in the stable branch, since we're near a new
> stable release I don't feel like committing anything to the trunk
> without supervision.

Sounds good.  I think at this point I will see about getting a Jack MIDI
driver working and make some minor improvements to the PortAudio driver,
but otherwise I'll also be keeping my fingers out of any quick
"fixes" ;)

> Josh, I've already undone the fix for ticket #11 in the trunk.

Thanks.  We can address that in the next release.

> It's pending that I post some proposals for the new branch and
> discussing it before starting serious development in the new branch. I'm
> getting there.
>
> This is the URL: https://resonance.org/svn/fluidsynth/branches/2.x
>
> Regards.

I also had a thought that I'd like to run by you and others interested
in development.  That is, we decided to have glib as a dependency, what
about GObject (also part of glib).  I've gotten rather used to it
myself, since libInstPatch and Swami are completely built off of it.
Its got a little bit of a learning curve and is probably annoying to
anyone who is used to a real object oriented language, but it does the
job and has some nice features too (the properties system for example
and almost completely automated Python bindings).  FluidSynth is already
wrapped in a GObject as a Swami plugin, so that code could be used, *IF*
we decide to go that route.
        Josh