[fluid-dev] What is "tuning" good for?

From: Butrus Damaskus
Subject: [fluid-dev] What is "tuning" good for?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:11:49 +0100

Hi!

Could someone, please, explain to me, what is the "tunings" good for? I Greped the source and was a little bit confused of what it is aimed for.

(My Idea was to implement some other tuning systems than the "Equal temperament" - e.g. those used in arabic music [maqāmāt] or barock organ music. It seems to me however, that fluidsynth allows just to set the tuning for a particular key AND for a particular bank/program. But it would be usefull to set the tuning once for everything...)

Thanks!

See:
 • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_maqam
 • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_tuning#Tuning_systems