Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:46:32 +0100

Hi,

David Henningsson wrote:
> If "fluidsynth -i" is supposed to wait for a MIDI file to finish and
> then quit,

The option "-i" (or "--no-shell") orders the FluidSynth CLI program that it
shouldn't read commands from the shell. When it is used *together with an
input MIDI file* as another program argument, it has the behaviour you
describe.

> perhaps the below implementation is better than the one in
> the patch posted earlier, but still bad, as it quits before all samples
> have reached the soundcard.

Your former patch implements a "slave" timer, using the frame counter from the
synthesizer itself as a time source. I think it may be a right way to go.

About the implementation, I would prefer to do it as an option, and not a
replacement of the former timer. And there is a timer usage in the file
output driver (fluid_aufile.c) that should be revised, or removed when used
with your system, to render MIDI files faster than wall clock.

There is a pending 1.0.9 release, so IMHO this is not the right moment to
include your patch into trunk. Also, it would be better if you can provide
an "svn diff" patch, instead.

> Was the "-i" broken in 1.0.8? The 1.0.8 version I've got here seems to
> quit immediately if the -i option is used.

It works as expected here. Please provide all the command line arguments,
files and other details of your tests.

Regards,
Pedro