Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for fast midi file rendering

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for fast midi file rendering
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:33:38 +0100

Le 22 mars 09 à 06:46, David Henningsson a écrit :

But if you ask me; I think the system timers in the player/sequencer
should be skipped altogether and then no parameter would be needed at
all. Especially if the system timer solution has concurrency problems...?

I totally agree. There is no timer like the sample timer ! ;)
The only potential drawback would be CPU hit on the fluid_synth_write_s16, which can be easily optimized (not calling the sample timer if there is no "client", etc..).

* Define a new "slave-timer" member of _fluid_synth_t, and initialize it
according to the corresponding setting in new_fluid_synth().

As we're deep into details and nomenclature here: IMHO it's time to skip the words "slave timer" and use "sample timer" instead, as it says more
about what kind of timer it is.

I agree too; "sample timer" is very explicit.

My 2 cents...

++ as