Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for fast midi file rendering

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for fast midi file rendering
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:48:49 -0700

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 23:04 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> Josh Green skrev:
> >> Seems like a good idea. Hopefully noone wants to create a file named "-"?
> > Then they can do:
> > fluidsynth my.sf2 my.mid -F - >'-'
>
> Would it be confusing to make -F have an optional argument? It seems
> like getopt supports it. (What we don't want is that a person's precious
> midi file gets overwritten, but I don't know if making it optional makes
> any difference in that context.)

I think just using '-' would probably be fine for stdout.  Or perhaps
I'm not understanding what the issue is, that you are trying to resolve.

> > I think some applications have a way around that (an extra switch or
> > something), but who wants a file called -?  Maybe -.wav or -.au ;)
>
> Are you talking about when we're starting to depend on libsndfile now?

Yeah.  Which would require the ability to specify the format of the
file, etc.  We don't need to think about that immediately though.
libsndfile (or libaudiofile for that matter) could just be an optional
dependency.  Although, I can see how most users would want the audio to
be a .wav or something more friendly like that.

> > One thing I think would be good to add to the renderer API is a public
> > function for calling a callback instead of using a file handle.
>
> Are you talking about the output from libsndfile? Otherwise that would
> be the same as just calling fluid_synth_write_s16?

That is true.

> // David

        Josh