Re: [fluid-dev] Timing revisited

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Timing revisited
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:35:34 -0700

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 21:30 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> About the buffer, first I think it should be an additional component
> between the "producer" and the synth. We don't want to introduce the
> overhead of thread safety when we don't need it, e g when using fast
> midi-file rendering or in some embedded cases.
>
> Second, I was thinking perhaps this buffer is the sequencer? A sequencer
> is really just a buffer with the additional feature of delaying an event
> (which can come in handy if we want a really stable midi file player in
> combination with low latency).

Indeed that does make sense that the circular buffer is the sequencer.
It starts getting more complex when events are removed in non FIFO
order.  Rather then re-invent something that is already out there,
perhaps we should do some research on how other projects have tackled
this.

> > It would be nice to start using glib for some basic things, like data
> > types, hash tables, etc.  Cleaning up main could also be refreshing :)
> > Perhaps I'll get inspired to tackle some of that.
>
> That would be nice. I have not used glib but it seems to come in handy.
> For Linux I assume depending on glib would not be a problem, but will
> there be problems on other ports?

glib is available for just about any Unix system (Linux, BSDs, Mac OS X,
etc), Windows and apparently OS/2.  It does add an additional dependency
of course, which would need to be provided, either packaged with
FluidSynth or otherwise.  For the sake of cleaner and more portable
code, I think it is worth it.

I'm thinking of dropping the Mac OS 9 support in FluidSynth.  If anyone
objects, you better speak up!

> > Hows it coming along with committing your patches?
>
> I've committed three patches so far:
>
> #172 - Fix bank selection logic, as reported by D Bartolec
>
> #173 - Fixed sample rate warning message. There should have been a
> warning from the compiler about this I think, perhaps we should look
> into that to avoid similar errors in the future?
>
> #177 - Sample timers and fast MIDI-file rendering (fixes ticket #15)
> I've been hesitating about committing that patch since it breaks
> Bernat's thoughts about FluidSynth's future...? Anyway, it's there now,
> hopefully we can work on "perfecting" it.

I believe Bernat has decided to hold off on 2.x branch for now, at least
that is what I gathered from his communications.  1.1.0 is a chance to
add some new features and API, mark older stuff as deprecated and keep
API compatibility at the same time.

> > How sensitive do you think your patch is to changes?
>
> Neither my patch or I will take any offense if you change it to the
> better ;-)

Actually I was referring to whether it would be harder to apply your
patch if I started changing other things.  I'm sure your patch is
already perfect ;)

> // David

Regards,
        Josh