Re: [fluid-dev] Timing revisited

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Timing revisited
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:30:36 +0200

Josh Green skrev:
> On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 10:18 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
>> We will probably have more than one producer? If somebody plays MIDI on
>> his/her keyboard while another thread is a midi file player.
> Yeah, that is true.  I hadn't really considered that.  I wonder if
> having multiple circular buffers for each producer would make sense
> though.  I imagine there could be better ways to deal with this, but
> that could be one of them.

About the buffer, first I think it should be an additional component
between the "producer" and the synth. We don't want to introduce the
overhead of thread safety when we don't need it, e g when using fast
midi-file rendering or in some embedded cases.

Second, I was thinking perhaps this buffer is the sequencer? A sequencer
is really just a buffer with the additional feature of delaying an event
(which can come in handy if we want a really stable midi file player in
combination with low latency).

> It would be nice to start using glib for some basic things, like data
> types, hash tables, etc.  Cleaning up main could also be refreshing :)
> Perhaps I'll get inspired to tackle some of that.

That would be nice. I have not used glib but it seems to come in handy.
For Linux I assume depending on glib would not be a problem, but will
there be problems on other ports?

> Hows it coming along with committing your patches?

I've committed three patches so far:

#172 - Fix bank selection logic, as reported by D Bartolec

#173 - Fixed sample rate warning message. There should have been a
warning from the compiler about this I think, perhaps we should look
into that to avoid similar errors in the future?

#177 - Sample timers and fast MIDI-file rendering (fixes ticket #15)
I've been hesitating about committing that patch since it breaks
Bernat's thoughts about FluidSynth's future...? Anyway, it's there now,
hopefully we can work on "perfecting" it.

> How sensitive do you think your patch is to changes?

Neither my patch or I will take any offense if you change it to the
better ;-)

// David