Re: [fluid-dev] Timing revisited

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Timing revisited
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 05:07:12 +0200

Ebrahim Mayat skrev:
> On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 15:09 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> Fluidsynth was initially used as a rendering library for Linux
> sequencers. IIRC, it was in release 1.0.4 that the live MIDI controller
> triggering feature was introduced by Stephane Letz in response to a
> request by yours truly.

Okay, I stand corrected. Judging from the design of the audio drivers
and the player/sequencer, it seems like those parts were designed for
live usage only (up to now).

>> To solve the concurrency issue, we must not input MIDI to the synth
>> during fluid_synth_one_block, only between. A callback from the synth to
>> the "timing component" before or after fluid_synth_one_block serves two
>> purposes, 1) it says that now it's ok to input some more MIDI, 2) it
>> says that the sample timer has advanced.
>
> Incidentally, should not the do_not_mix_fx_to_out be a boolean variable
> ..or in other words what value range is valid for do_not_mix_fx_to_out ?

It seems to me like the do_not_mix_fx_to_out parameter should be a
boolean value, but the boolean datatype was introduced in C99 and
fluidsynth currently do not declare its own boolean datatype either. So
I guess that's why it is an int instead.

// David