Re: [fluid-dev] Jack and CoreAudio are mutually exclusive

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Jack and CoreAudio are mutually exclusive
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:57:21 -0800

Hello Ebrahim,

Quoting Ebrahim Mayat <address@hidden>:
Hello again

I just tried 271 and sound driver function has changed as follows:

If Jack is linked during compilation, fluidsynth can be run with jack
as the audio driver  but it cannot be run with the coreaudio driver:

$ fluidsynth -a coreaudio  ~/sf2/GeneralUser_GS_FluidSynth_v1.43_RC1.sf2
FluidSynth version 1.1.0
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

fluidsynth: error: Failed to get the default buffer size
Failed to create the audio driver

The only way I can run fluidsynth with coreaudio is to first remove and
trash my Jack installation and then build fluidsynth without Jack.

$ fluidsynth -a coreaudio  ~/GeneralUser_GS_FluidSynth_v1.43_RC1.sf2
FluidSynth version 1.1.0
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

Type 'help' for help topics.

Is this by design ?

I do not presently use Firewire audio interfaces so I cannot say if
Firewire sound drivers (libffado?) can or cannot co-exist with Jack.

It sounds as if you may have multiple audio interfaces? I notice that the FluidSynth coreaudio driver doesn't currently have support for specifying which audio device to use. Seems a call to AudioDeviceGetProperty() is failing when attempting to get the default buffer size. I'm not sure why that would happen though, but perhaps its using the wrong audio device? The driver could be improved to display what the particular failure is which would help diagnose the problem.

Josh