Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Son of ticket #65
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 14:53:20 -0500

Well if a default behavior has to be honored, wouldn't supporting the GS standard of bank switching be preferable to the current implementation?  From what I've read, instead of selecting a patch from bank 1, FluidSynth is selecting from the percussion banks instead.  Isn't this what channel 10 is for?  I would expect there to be far more MIDI files using the bank select to select GS (or similar) instruments rather than trying to select a drum set on one of the melodic channels (1-9, 11-16).

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem, but when this was changed (sometime after 1.0.9), it seems to have been to a far inferior solution.  As the composer of the March mentioned in the discussion, I expect those bank 1 patch change commands to select a specific strings preset when used with GeneralUser GS, and if a patch isn't available on that bank, then it falls back to the corresponding preset on bank 0 (in this case 48:Fast Strings).  Every synth I've played this March on has behaved in this way.  I would never expect those instruments to become drum sets.

-~Chris