[fluid-dev] MIDI Bank Select Test result

From: Bernd Casper
Subject: [fluid-dev] MIDI Bank Select Test result
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:06:04 +0200

Hello Pedro,
many thanks for your essential efforts into bank select mechanisms.

I've tested the bank select mechanism in a jOrgan real-time scenario.
I understood GS mode supports 128 banks numbered 0-127, each with 128 patches numbered 0-127.
I understood I've nothing to do with the "midi.bank-select" switch, when I want to use GS mode for default.
The est soundfonts contained bank 0 patch 0 and 1, and bank 7 patch 6 and 7.

According to your proposal I used the following message matrix for the default (GS) bank select ("CC32 is ignored"):
CC00 = bank number (decimal, like numbering in the soundfonts)
CC192 = patch number (decimal, like numbering in the soundfonts)

Thus, my message sequences were:

For bank 0 patches 0 and 1 select:
CC00=0 | CC192=0
CC00=0 | CC192=1

For bank 7 patches 6 and 7 select:
CC00=7 | CC192=6
CC00=7 | CC192=7

Selecting bank 0 patches worked correctly, selecting bank 7 patches gave the following error messages:
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 0 [bank=896 prog=6], substituted [bank=0 prog=0]
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument not found on channel 0 [bank=896 prog=7], substituted [bank=0 prog=0]

What I'm doing wrong?

Regards
Bernd.