Re: [fluid-dev] FS 1.1.2 alpha sound rendering issue

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FS 1.1.2 alpha sound rendering issue
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 21:47:48 +0200

2010-08-17 15:39, Bernd Casper skrev:
> Hi David,
>
> FS 1.1.2 delivers currently strange rendering issues. Strange though, not all
> sounds are affected, and even more strange, the crackling disappears if more
> keys are pressed (as shown in the example). Here's a sample of one and the
> same program, which is very good in serving as reference sound. First you
> listen to FS, second Creative Synth (SB Live Platinum). Note also the
> presence of the attack and rich sound and buzz in Creative rendering. The
> wave is converted to ogg with 256KB/s, so it's nearly lossless.
>
> http://bca.free-artists.net/data/tempdl/bca_FS112alpha_rendering_test_clairon4_FS1st_Creative2nd.ogg
>
> I also observe ticks a quarter of a second after releasing keys, as whether
> releases cut off with a tick.
>
> Playing with parametres gives no improvement.

Thanks for the testing, Bernd. I would need a little more information to
be able to solve these bugs.

 * Do you also have the sf2 used to render these files?

 * The initial crackling sounds like underruns, what are your audio
output options in this rendering example?

 * The difference in what you call "richness" between the two examples,
sounds like either difference in handling cutoff, or chorus, or a
combination. I'm not sure though, and I believe S Christian Collins is
our expert on this matter. Christian, perhaps you have some thoughts
about this issue?

// David