Re: [fluid-dev] Re : Re: About sustain and sostenuto pedal

From: jean-jacques.ceresa
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re : Re: About sustain and sostenuto pedal
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 14:04:38 +0100

> Probably best to ignore redundant noteOns where no pedals are involved.

Yes and actualy in FluidSynth (i.e FS), redundant stacked noteOn on same chan and key (i.e noteOn1,noteOn2,... ) is handled by fluid_synth_release_voice_on_same_note_LOCAL(). Actual behavior of this function is pretty straightforward as on noteOn it forces a noteOff on previous noteOn: So when receiving "noteOn1,noteOn2,..." FS play "noteOn1,noteOff1,noteOn2,...". Note that FS insert "noteOff1" immediatly before playing "noteOn2", to force
actual sounding note1 into release phase .
This behavior is rather natural regarding accoustic instruments and the way they can be played.

Last evening, i have just tried FS on this intended behavior and FS scceeds as on noteOn2 we can heard note1 forced into release. But FS doesn't succeed when noteOn1 is already Sustained by pedal. In this case previous notes are never forced into release and the
sound goes louder or strange as stack of unisson note is growin.
This is a bug I have fixed but not yet submitted to FS developer.
By the way, now  I am confident to continue adding sostenuto code.

>I still don't think simply forcing a noteOff, even a low-velocity noteOff, is a good idea .......... Well, if i remember, velocity noteOff is not handled by Sf2 synthesizer model. So velocity on noteOff is ignored by FS that stay hightly SF2 compliant !.

> ....since there could be something undesirable in the release.
Yes, It is possible for somes synthetic curious instruments that contain something special in the release phase. But again for accoustic instrument the sound during release is normally quite 'natural'. In all case mastering sound during release is only a mater of soundfont instrument design.

>It looks like you have a situation where something along the lines of a very fast concurrent fade (so as to avoid a pop) has to happen when, and only when, the Ped. and S.P. are up and >a sustained note is struck. Sorry, I am confused ? . Normally, when any pedal is going up, sustained note are forced into release, so leaving sustained phase. Please what do you mean ?

Regards.
jjc

Le 06/02/2015 07:36, R.L. Horn a écrit :
On Thu, 5 Feb 2015, CERESA Jean-Jacques ENAC/ENAC wrote:

I agree with yours pertinent remarks.

That's kind of you but, upon reflection, I realized that much of what I had to say was actually pretty stupid.

All you get with noteOn is channel and note, so stacked noteOns probably result in undefined behavior anyway...unless you're ignoring noteOffs, of course. Probably best to ignore redundant noteOns where no pedals are involved.

I still don't think simply forcing a noteOff, even a low-velocity noteOff, is a good idea since there could be something undesirable in the release.

It looks like you have a situation where something along the lines of a very fast concurrent fade (so as to avoid a pop) has to happen when, and only when, the Ped. and S.P. are up and a sustained note is struck.

Tricky.