Re: [fluid-dev] Supported Wave/Flac format other than SF2

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Supported Wave/Flac format other than SF2
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 12:34:04 +0100

On 2015-02-05 22:21, David Henningsson wrote:
I guess this depends on your level of ambition. I believe - correct me
if I'm wrong - that for the (open source) sf2 playback engines out
there, FluidSynth is the top notch one, in terms of following the
specification.

Sure, we could "just transfer it in", but then again, the results would
be slightly wrong. Just as an example, sfz seems to have a three band EQ
built into every voice [1], which SF2 voices do not. This is stuff we
would have to add into the playback engine.

If we should bring SFZ into the engine, then my wish would be that the
goal should be to play it as perfect as SF2 files are played today.
(Sure, we can have a few releases along the way where we're open with
that SFZ is not perfect yet, and that we plan to improve the support
later.)

To sum up a little - we're all different. Some of us care about SF2, others care more about SFZ. Some of us are perfectionist and want our instruments to sound exactly the way we intended, others prefer a good-enough approach.

For my own part, I'm a little afraid that if we do SFZ with a good enough approach and SF2 perfectly, then some people would judge FluidSynth by the way we play SFZ and think that we're not doing SF2 perfectly either. But maybe that's just me.

Also,

As you all probably know, nobody spends a lot of time on this project currently. Which means two things:

1) sure, you can come and ask for features such as SFZ support, 24-bit samples, etc, but don't expect anyone to work on them unless you do it yourself, and submit patches etc. (To first have a heads up and quick discussion about the implementation would be appreciated.)

2) if you'd like to help out or even take over maintenance of FluidSynth, the door is open. If you'd be willing to do that work (and has done so for a while), at least I would not want to stand in the way of moving FluidSynth in the direction you want.

// David