Re: [fluid-dev] Supported Wave/Flac format other than SF2

From: Garth Hjelte
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Supported Wave/Flac format other than SF2
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 15:54:35 -0800

At 03:29 PM 2/5/2015, you wrote:

>I've been focusing mainly on getting the majority of features of other similar
>formats supported and not worrying much about some of the other details which
>can't be shoehorned into the SoundFont model. I've been told before that this
>is wrong and that most users would expect full support for whatever format
>they are using and that partial support just wouldn't cut it. This is probably
>true.

Depends on the context the feature is put in IMHO. I spoke of this in the
thread in the context of "other inputs into FS". What you say may be true with
formats-with-a-player (like Kontakt, or EXS24, or HALion, et. al) but SFZ has
always been a format WITHOUT a player. It's understood that it's a format, done
in text, used primarily for construction and mapping. I don't think very often
that SFZ is thought of as "this is THE instrument", where you'd get this
reaction "hey, this doesn't sound like it did elsewhere" - mainly because there
THERE IS NO elsewhere.

But, like I said, this is esoteric and I'd vote for MIDI rules and streaming,
and perhaps other engine-related things, to go into FS first.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User