Re: [fluid-dev] Play two channels simultaneously

From: Ben Gonzales
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Play two channels simultaneously
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 12:34:45 +1000

Hi Srijan.

Don't you need 2 separate rules?, like

router_clear

router_begin note

router_chan 0 15 0 0

router_end

router_begin note
router_chan 0 15 0 1
router_end

Don't forget, you'll need to create similar rules for all your other stuff - cc pbend, etc.

Ben

On 13/06/16 10:57, Srijan Deshpande wrote:
Thanks, but shouldn't this be possible using fluidsynth's router?

The fluidsynth API page says you can use the router to "Layer sounds (Example: for each noteon received on ch 1, create a noteon on ch1, ch2, ch3,...)". This is exactly what I want to do. For each noteon received on ch0, I want to create a noteon on ch0 and ch1.

I tried this:
router_clear
router_begin note
router_chan 0 15 0 0
router_chan 0 15 0 1
router_end

But it doesn't work because the second router_chan rule overrides the first one, so I end up with only one channel playing. I can't get channels 0 and 1 to play simultaneously.

Any ideas?
Srijan

On 13 June 2016 at 05:14, Peter Billam <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi.

> I have two soundfonts loaded into fluidsynth, one is on chan 0
> and the other is on chan 1. I want both to play regardless of
> what channel my controller keyboard is on.

On alsa, I would do this with midiecho
  http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/index.html
  http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/midiecho.html
eg:
  midiecho -c 3 -e 3,4 -d 1 -i ProKeys -o FLUID

and then set your ProKeys to play on channel 3.
This doesn't do the "regardless of what channel my controller
keyboard is on" bit. If you just mean for channels 3 or 4,
then I'd start up a second midiecho client using -N
  midiecho -N Echo4 -c 4 -e 3,4 -d 1 -i ProKeys,Keysta -o FLUID
but if you mean for any channel 0..15 then I'd probably write
a custom midi-alsa client using either
  http://www.pjb.com.au/comp/lua/midialsa.html
or
  http://search.cpan.org/~pjb/MIDI-ALSA-1.20/ALSA.pm
to do whatever needs to be done.

If you look how important doubling is in orchestral music
it's amazing it's not more discussed in a midi context...

Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au      address@hidden     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949