Re: [fluid-dev] Bundling ladspa.h

From: Kjetil Matheussen
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Bundling ladspa.h
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 11:33:45 +0100

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Tom M. <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm proposing to bundle the compile-time dependency (i.e. the ladspa.h header file) with FluidSynth

I vote against it. Even if it's only a single header file, bundling it
with fluidsynth would mean to fork LADSPA. Look at with the people at
MuseScore did with fluidsynth: In 2012 (when fluidsynth was already
pretty inactive for a couple of months) they also bundled fluidsynth
with their software and rewrote it in C++. Now fluidsynth is active
again and the guys at MuseScore wont profit from any further upstream
development. Also if there are any bugs regarding fluidsynth, they
will have to cope with them by themselves, it's not the same
fluidsynth anymore as we are developing.

And the same could happen with LADSPA. Sure development is inactive
since... wow 2007. But you never know whether they start developing
tomorrow (introducing many many more header files ;) ). Bundling
ladspa with fluidsynth could sooner or later lead to introducing
custom fixes, adoptions, etc. until we are incompatible with ladspa
upstream...

That doesn't seem relevant.

1. Ladspa is set in stone. It has mostly been replaced by lv2 now. (lv2 stands for ladspa v2.)
2. ladspa.h can't change too much because then the plugins would have to be recompiled.
3. It wouldn't make sense to change ladspa.h if it was included in fluidsynth. So it wouldn't be a fork.
4. If ladspa.h "upstream" would change in a way that would force plugins to be recompiled (and this won't happen),
the only required change in fluidsynth would be to update the ladspa.h file.