Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Panning with stereo samples
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 22:30:28 +0100

> Using the Modulation control with the FluidR3_GM soundfont, causes a
> distorted sound for melodic instruments with vibrato. The creator of the
> FluidR3_GM soundfont, went with the idea that a sampled vibrato is
> better than what you get using the modulation control, so if you use
> modulation with it, you get a distorted sound.
>
> I originally tried using the modulation wheel to control the relative
> loudness of the foreground and background voices,  as some other VST
> instruments do, but it also distorted the sound (because of the above),
> so I used the Balance control, which had no discernible side-effects

Sorry, I dont understand at all why you're coming up with CC1 and concerns
about vibrato sound quality. I was talking about the implementation details of
CC8 in fluidsynth, i.e. to use/expand the SF2 modulator functionality.  I dont
see any connection to what you said.

However I second what Marcus said: There are a number of undefined or general
purpose MIDI CCs, why are you using the well-defined CC8 for your custom
background/forground voice problem?

Tom