Re: [fluid-dev] Slightly OT: Parsing SF2; duplicate pbag entries?

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Slightly OT: Parsing SF2; duplicate pbag entries?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 16:55:27 +0100

> I see how that could work (specifically, ibag[1] taking
> all the remaining data). I can't find anywhere in the spec that makes
> it clear that implementations should do this though... What am I
> missing?

The wording "residual generators/modulators" I used before is not quite
correct. As already ponited out by Marcus, the terminal ibag tells you how
many generators and modulators to use. Section 7.7:

"The size of the IMOD sub-chunk in bytes will be equal to ten times the
terminal instrument’s wModNdx plus ten and the size of the IGEN sub-chunk in
bytes will be equal to four times the terminal instrument’s wGenNdx plus four.
If the generator or modulator indices are non-monotonic or do not match the
size of the respective IGEN or IMOD sub-chunks, the file is structurally
defective and should be rejected at load time. "

Which in turn means that if (hypothetically) ibag[1] were the terminal zone,
the file would be rejected because the size of the igen subchunk wouldn't
match that requirement (contrary to what I said before, sry).

Tom