freehoo-users

[Freehoo-users] Does it work behind a proxy?

From: Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray
Subject: [Freehoo-users] Does it work behind a proxy?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:45:24 +0530

Just came across the FreeHoo project in Savannah, and was quite pleased to know that it exists! I have been trying to get a IM client that would let me use Yahoo! for chatting. It seems that FreeHoo might just satisfy my requirements. However can I have the following queries:

Will it work behind a Squid proxy? The point is that the Yahoo client for Windows works without any problem, but my attempts to use Gaim to facilitate chatting in Linux has run into trouble, since the proxy does not allow port 5050 tunnelling. The problem exists for Google Talk as well. The Windows client works without any issues, but when I tried Gaim on Linux the same tunnelling problem returned to haunt me. I have Gaim 1.50.

In case you need it here is what I got on nmapping my gateway(172.16.20.1) and proxy (172.16.20.2):
address@hidden bin]$ nmap 172.16.20.1

Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-01-27 01:31 IST
Interesting ports on 172.16.20.1:
(The 1652 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT    STATE SERVICE
21/tcp  open  ftp
22/tcp  open  ssh
23/tcp  open  telnet
80/tcp  open  http
260/tcp open  openport
261/tcp open  nsiiops
443/tcp open  https

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.026 seconds

address@hidden bin]$ nmap 172.16.20.2

Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-01-27 01:31 IST
Interesting ports on 172.16.20.2:
(The 1631 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT      STATE SERVICE
7/tcp     open  echo
9/tcp     open  discard
13/tcp    open  daytime
19/tcp    open  chargen
21/tcp    open  ftp
22/tcp    open  ssh
23/tcp    open  telnet
37/tcp    open  time
53/tcp    open  domain
80/tcp    open  http
111/tcp   open  rpcbind
512/tcp   open  exec
513/tcp   open  login
514/tcp   open  shell
540/tcp   open  uucp
665/tcp   open  unknown
898/tcp   open  sun-manageconsole
3128/tcp  open  squid-http
6000/tcp  open  X11
6112/tcp  open  dtspc
7100/tcp  open  font-service
10000/tcp open  snet-sensor-mgmt
32771/tcp open  sometimes-rpc5
32772/tcp open  sometimes-rpc7
32773/tcp open  sometimes-rpc9
32774/tcp open  sometimes-rpc11
32775/tcp open  sometimes-rpc13
32779/tcp open  sometimes-rpc21

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 48.696 seconds

Thanks a lot,
Debarshi