gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] RSSKit/0.4 silent ABI break

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] RSSKit/0.4 silent ABI break
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:55:41 +0200

Hi,

Yavor Doganov wrote:
Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
should be a MAJOR.MINOR version.
whereas, rules for version bumps are easy:
minor version bump: stuff that doesn't break binary compatibility,
i.e. addition of a method major version bump: stuff breaking binary
compatibility, i.e. adding removing of a class variable, or removing
of a method

So, since the new 0.4 version seems to be binary incompatible, the
INTERFACE_VERSION should be 1.0
This won't work as you expect with GNUstep Make -- 1.0 and 1.1 will
yield different SONAMEs.  Only the SUBMINOR version is not encoded in
the SONAME.  1 will be enough, but now it is not necessary to do it as
0.4.0 has been released already and I guess the next release will be
binary compatible with 0.4.0, so that would classify as gratuitous
soname bump...

So essentially, you propose to do "nothing" ?

I would still insert INTERFACE_VERSION = 0 though, so at least, it is explicit and it helps remember us to bump it in the future.

Riccardo