gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Re: internal_viewer_ng, improved, but still in Alpha

From: A. Gordon
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Re: internal_viewer_ng, improved, but still in Alpha
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:18:36 +0200

Magnus Stålnacke wrote:
This html2text i do not have.

It is available as a Debian package and as an RPM package, but I couldn't find a Slackware package for it.
You can download the sources from: http://www.mbayer.de/html2text/

PS/PDF Parser - requires the program "ps2ascii" (from the standard package "gs-common", found on almost every distribution).
It kind of works..
I get text, but with linewrapping it is hard to read,
no paragraphs and the scrollwheel does not work. If i
turn off line wrapping, it could have been readable, but
now sidescrolling does not work.

Micha suggest a different parser (pdftotext) - I will change it, and look into the horizontal scrolling problem.

* Viewing exif and IPTC works fine but..
  * Cannot change exif/IPTC font size, i thought about linewrapping,
    but no, that does not work since it has to be on the on the same
    line in this simple text view (Caption/Abstract in IPTC have a
    max limit on 2000 characters).
  * It would be an improvement i you can separate exif and IPTC,
    maybe tabs or separate menu options (tabs would be great).

* Scrollwheel does not work in the meta info.

I will fix that, TAB sounds interesting, I'll see if it can be easily done.
The zoom factors are better, but now there are some
strange things with the functions.

* Zoom in goes sometimes directly to 125%, sometimes
  200%, 250% and even 300%, this seemes to be dependent
  on what i did earlier, feels quite random.
Does it happen only with large images, or with every image ?
Do you press CTRL+"+" very fast, or press onces, release the keys and then press again ? (it sounds funny, but maybe related to the problem).
* Zoom out works only 3 times, with image widths over
  3000 pixels, you want more times..  There is also
  some problems alike above. All of a sudden i can only
  zoom out one time and then no more.
No problem, how much "more" do you want ? is 5 times enough? 10 times ?

* The viewer cannot handle uncompressed images like tiff,
  pnm and ppm at all, i had to kill gcmd when trying those
  kind of images (froze at 100% load).
Did the previous version (1.1.7) handle uncompressed TIFF correctly ?
I did do a big change on the way images are loaded, but it seems the method in 1.1.7 was actually better....

* A lot slower to view image (initial), now it takes about
  the same time to view a 6Mp image than it took to view a
  34Mp in 1.1.7. that is quite much slower - not good.
* I converted one of my 34Mpix pnm images to jpeg just to
  make some comparisons:
  * F3view now took 5 sec to open it.
  * F3view in 1.1.7 took only 2 sec! (this is truly impressive)
  * EOG about 6 sec.
  * GQview 8 sec.
  * gThumb 6 sec.
I swear I will not rest until our internal viewer is the fastest in the universe ! ;-)

Assaf.