gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: Website

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: Website
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:21:17 +0100

Micha wrote:

| I will use the new right column more consistently for
| "in this section navigation"

Yes, and consider downscaling (or un-bold?) fonts in this navbar, they are
rather fat here.
With firefox 1.07 (linux) but of course could be as well a font issue.

They are ment to be bold, but how big n bold...? Yes, it
can be a font/xft/freetype/fontconfig/xFree/xorg issue.

I am just in a long discussion/investigation with a
swedish friend about this. His site renders with
quite big and half-bold text on my machine but
not on his. This at the same time as other sites
renders exactly the same in my and his machine???

It seemes like simple sites without any styling and
specified fonts renders the same, but as soon as
sites becomes more complex with a lot of css rules,
text starts to render differently in size and boldness.
He are using big and bloated (imho) SuSe, and i use
lean and mean Slack.

We have not figured it out yet, but my guess is that
it is some XFT issue. All "gecko" based browsers on *nix
also has some problems with the "em" unit that boils down
to the cofiguring of XFT/Freetype and the X server,
this is baaad news for all webdesigners word wide since
we cannot trust that unit fully, it is like one pixel
could render like something in between 0.8 to 1.2 pixels
on different machines.

Back in 2003 i made a page testing theese issues:
http://web.telia.com/~u97015790/tillf/testcase/testcase.html
I guess it is time to update that page.

Can you send me, private/off-list, a screenshot of how
the GCMD homepage looks at your screen?

| Are there anyone using the style-changer?
| I feel it is an unneccesary gimmic today.

What are you talking about ? nongnu ? or gcmd layout ?

Splendid proof, you have not even noticed it.

There was an alternate stylesheet, it is gone now, plus
a quite complex javascript setting a cookie in the
visitors browser to remember the choise. The other
stylesheet rendered the site quite different, dark
blue and with the main menu vertically to the left
of the content.