gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Re: Website (was: new version for internal viewer)

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Re: Website (was: new version for internal viewer)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:24:28 +0100

Piotr Eljasiak wrote:

Now we have four sections:

[Home] [Screenshots] [Download] [Documentation]

What about adding new [Development] comprising:

nightly snapshots (I'm going to start them this week)
cvs
mailing lists
gcmd internals (where Assaf's docs can be put into)
building from source

What do you think about this:

[Home]
* About
* News
* Authors

[Screenshots]
* Main window
* Dialog windows
* Other windows

[Download]
* Latest release
* Build info (+ info on deps. GTK version, and so on..)
* External downloads
* Old versions

[Documentation]
* Tips & tricks
* Keyboard shortcuts
* Internal viewer

[Development]
* Nightly snapshots
* CVS (+ Info about autogen.sh)
* Hacking docs
* Contribute
* Mailinglists
* Bugs

I will use the new right column more consistently for
"in this section navigation"

I need link to the snapshots, and a short text about those.
Also some info about dependecies of the latest gcmd release.

Maybe CVS belongs under download?

Are there anyone using the style-changer?
I feel it is an unneccesary gimmic today.

I have also thought about an "about" page, moving the
Feature list, Mailinglists and Authors to that page and
thus having "Latest news" just under the short "Information"
directly visible at front page without scrolling.

I also think that we can have a "plugins/scripts" page
under download, where we can collect some useful plugins
and scripts. I guess plugins belong in the source tree,
but some useful filemanagement scripts could be stored at
the website as plain text files. Or perhaps have scripts
as "tips&tricks" and plugins as.. what/where?

Give me some feedback and thoughts about this and i start
to do it.

//Magnus S.