gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Python plugins (was: archive browser plugin)

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Python plugins (was: archive browser plugin)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 05:31:12 +0200

Piotr Eljasiak <address@hidden>:

| I know it is very likely that I'm opening a box with Pandora now... ;o)

Why pandora ? - Your proposal sounds good ok to me.

If there would be another proposal or any alternative, then
we could talk about the pros and cons. But there was none ;)

|         gnomevfs.DirectoryHandle - iterator object for reading
|         directories
|         gnomevfs.Drive - Object representing a device which can mount a
|         volume
|         gnomevfs.FileInfo - Object which stores information about a file
|         gnomevfs.Handle - Object representing an open file
|         gnomevfs.URI - Object encapsulating a URI
|         gnomevfs.Volume - Abstraction for a mounted file system or
|         network location

I didn't expect so many available features, not at all !

I still can't reallly imagine how such a list would look like.
Could you post an example ?

I also can't say much about the technical apsects.

It would be great if you could implement it i a 'generic' way
so that one day changing (extending) the plugin API internally
doesn't mean to rewrite all plugins.
(I think that's maybe solved if you just use gnomevfs)

Do you think it would be possible, this way, for a plugin to call another
plugin and pass some parameters too ?

Can plugins 'query' gcmd about his status ?
I think it would be nice if a plugin and gcmd could have communication
(like in C++). But i don't know if python provides this feature.

| This way plugin may:
| - do any kind of batch file processing
| - do some processing of file and send its output to an app (eg.converting
pdf2txt and displaying in int-viewer)

greate !

| - provide any GUI it requires (eg. file content comparing)
| - ...
|
| Plugins could be accessible via context menu, toolbar buttons, key
| shortcuts (user configurable), ...

All three are useful.

| I'd like to hear your comments on it - especially in aspects of your
| scripts you work on at the moment (is it possible to implement them
| using proposed python plugin model?)

Yes, why not ?

Though we need to learn python first, you know ;)

   °
 /\/