gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] shopping cart = virtual folders ?

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] shopping cart = virtual folders ?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 00:13:00 +0200

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 20:09 +0200, Micha wrote:
> Cool.
>

> How did you do that piece of magic ?
> (Looks like you even hacked the source ;)
>
> I just realize this is something i would consider to
> call not just a 'shoppingcart'...it's more a catalog organizer,
> like in gthumb: You can crate a bibliothek (folder) with catalogs
> (folders, actually: also Katalog in swedish, right ?) with collections
> of links to files.
>
> Disadvantage of the gthumb thing:
> It works only for images (AFAIKS) and you can apply only very few
> actions to a collection / selection. No advanced renaming, for example :)
> Personally, i found the naming (catalogs) confusing at the beginning,
> since i couldn't figure out iof they mean symlinks, hardlinks, or copies.
> Als, since i store my images sorted after locations and classes, i didn't
> feel a need for such virtual catalogs.
> Later, there was the point when i started to create thematic folders with
> web-working material, like 'flowers' or 'animals', with collections of
> symlinks
> to the 'real files'.  Now i realize this is exactly what gthumb is about.
> And now it seems to me, you're thinking into this direction, too.
>
> Although this is the simple one-folder thing which i had in mind when i
> said 'shopping cart', it's straightforward extended....perhaps it should have
> another title, how about 'vfolders' for virtual folders ?
> Because, usually you need only one cart, in a shop.

I like the idea of (named?) vfolders on gcmd. It'll simplify a lot of
things:

        1. adding files (manually): key shortcut, toolbar, RMB. It's
        also possible to add files to vfolder in automated way using
        filters (like in evolution)
        2. presentation: like other dirs. Access via dev-toolbar
        3. operation: all standard file operations F3..F8, etc. User
        defined actions (eg. burning) accessible via plugins.

What about it?

Piotr