gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Use of GNOME authentication manager for user's secu

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [NEW] Use of GNOME authentication manager for user's security credentials
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:53:58 +0200

> > Starting from rev #1200 gcmd uses keyring manager for password handling
> > for all connections (as of excellent Micha's idea:
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gcmd-devel/2007-05/msg00041.html) -
> > both ftp and smb.
> >
> > Be aware that all stored passwords are now removed from
> > ~/.gnome-commander/connections config file, so if you liked to go back
> > to previous version, you'd have to re-enter passwords.
>
> Well, I think gcmd should have a dialog asking for removal of those
> passwords.
>
> It is very annoying, if you have your passwords suddenly disappear just
> because something changed in the program you are using...
>
> :(

Sorry about it...

gcmd is advertised as a very lightweight file manager, which doesn't
rely heavily on GNOME libs. In fact it could be even named even GTK
Commander ;o)

The rev #1200 changes that. There has been added direct dependency on
gnome keyring (aka gnome auth. manager/daemon) what makes gcmd unusable
in non-gnome environments. This is BAD.

I think Magnus' objections against that sound very reasonable here. On
the other hand I dislike very much storing passwords in a plain text
file.

So...

IMHO the right solution for that should be:

        1. using the GNOME authentication manager for login/password
        handling (this should be default option)
        2. there should be an option (per connection) not to use auth
        daemon - in this case password will be stored in text file in
        the old way
        3. all ftp connections will be imported as 'not auth'ed by gnome
        keyring' - so nothing will disappear any more

What about it?

Piotr