glug-nith-discuss

Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Over the last few days...

From: Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Over the last few days...
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:53:56 +0530

I think we need to start with the cse deptt. A few labs already run on
GNU/Linux and a section of the computer center does too.

It is not about the laboratories. All computer science laboratories
all over the country have some sort of GNU/Linux installed. It is a
different story that no one uses them.

It is about bringing it to the desktop of an ordinary user.

We can talk up with
the authorities and if they are willing to allow us, we can get all machines
to run on some flavour of GNU/Linux.

The issue is not about convincing the authorities, it is about support
and scalability. If there is no one there to support the set-up, it is
going to lead to disaster.

We already have a number of systems running on free software, and it
includes faculty members who are using it on their personal systems.
People like YDS and Dr. Anoop Kumar have GNU/Linux as the sole
operating system on their laptops and desktops, and they are happily
using it. There are other people who are slowly showing their
eagerness to shift.

We need to provide support to these sort of people. We need to show
them the true fun of using a free operating system. Once these people
are infected with the fun, the rest shall follow. Just handing out the
CDs/DVDs and installing it won't do.

It is a pity that no one came forward to maintain the website or the
repositories.

Cheers,
Debarshi
--