gnewsense-art

[gNewSense-art] A license issue for artwork within the gNS OS?

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: [gNewSense-art] A license issue for artwork within the gNS OS?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 02:04:23 +0200

Hi

As a consequence of the many considerations that have been made here in the
recent thread [1] about 'Re-Licensing Artwork', I would like to submit a doubt
as to the possibility we have a license issue with artwork used within the gNS
operating system: logos, wallpapers, themes, icons, buttons etc. (here now I am
not referring to images, videos etc. related with documentation in the gNS's
wiki).

We have shown that since now most of the artwork used within the gNS operating
system has been licensed as CC BY-SA, though (as as pointed out by samgee) some
artwork is under the GPL license. Also we found that the CC BY-SA license is
incompatible with the GNU FDL [2].

But, in fact, this incompatibilty also exists [2] between CC BY-SA and GNU
GPL!!!

Hence the doubt: the artwork to be used within the gNS operating system should
be relicensed to the GPL (to avoid incompatibility or license violation)???

As an attempt to clarify the issue, I checked the license that is used for
artwork in some Debian packages (such as: gnome-backgrounds, gnome-icon-theme,
lxde-icon-theme, gdm3, slim). All these .deb packages are licensed under the
GNU GPL... Thus, this fact strengthens the doubt.

Anyway, I am not realy sure what the right answer.

Probably (I think) the existing artwork to be used within the gNS operating
system which is not already licensed as GPL need to be relicensed (dual
licensed maybe better) to the GPL.

Since the issue is quite relevant, perhaps it would be appropriate to ask
FSF to confirm if the problem really exists and then for clarification on the
better approach to adopt.

Regards

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-art/2012-05/msg00000.html
[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ccbysa