gpsd-users

Re: Upgraded to Linux Kernel 6.3.0, GPS Responds with "Resource temporar

From: anoduck
Subject: Re: Upgraded to Linux Kernel 6.3.0, GPS Responds with "Resource temporarily unavailablea(11)"
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 10:04:50 +0000

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 21:20:43 +0000
> anoduck anoduck@protonmail.com wrote:
>
> > Upgraded to Linux Kernel 6.3.0, and subsequently begin to receive GPS
> > device errors. Troubleshooting tells that it is a driver error.
>

> I run gpsd on just about every kernel as they come out.
>
> > Has anyone else heard of or experienced this error?
>

> Nope.
>
> > How would I further troubleshoot or debug this error (besides that
> > listed in the documentation of gpsd, obviously)? Where do I need to
> > go to get support for the driver?
>

> I see you attached the gpsddebuginfo, more on that below.
>
> > <pre>
> > # For gpsd output
> > Jul 17 20:38:40 computer gpsd[431635]: gpsd:ERROR: SER: error
> > changing port attributes: Resource temporarily unavailable(11) Jul 17
> > 20:38:40 computer gpsd[431635]: gpsd:ERROR: Garmin:
> > garmin_usb_detect: error changing port attributes: Resource
> > temporarily unavailable
>

> Maybe Garmin USB driver? If so, time to update that GPS for a modern one.

Times have never been tougher, I don't know when I will be able to replace it.
The device I have has only been used a handful of times, it would be a shame to
scrap it. You are correct about the prices, though. Basically, a third of what
I paid for back in 2010.

> > # For gpsmon output
> > gpsmon:ERROR: SER: error changing port attributes: Resource
> > temporarily unavailable(11) gpsmon:ERROR: Garmin: garmin_usb_detect:
> > error changing port attributes: Resource temporarily unavailable`
> > </pre>
>

> gpsmon uses the same backend as gpsd, so of course you get the same
> error. gpsmon is meant for developers only, it is getting pretty ol
> and unmainteined.
>
> > The particular device is: Garmin 010-00321-31 18x USB GPS NavigatorUnit
> > I have attached the output of gpsdebuginfo to this email. Device
> > permissions and everything else check out fine.
>

> Ah. Lead with that the next time.
>
> I guess you missed these two at the top:
>
> + echo Please run as root
> Please run as root
> + echo Running under sudo confuses the results.
> Running under sudo confuses the results.

No, I heard it loud and clear, and ran the script as root. I just didn't "su",
I "sudo su" instead.

> gpsd, gpsmon, gpsdenbnuginfo, are meant to be run as root. RUnning under
> sudo is not running as root. But I don't see how that would create this
> issue you have.
>
> Also, gpsdebuginfo is meant to be run while gpsd is running:
>
> + gpspipe -w -n 2 -x 20
> gpspipe: could not connect to gpsd localhost:2947, can't connect to host/port
> pair(-6)
>
> The Garmin 18x is almost 20 years old. Newer receivers are cheaper and
> vastly better. You have a museum piece.
>
> The 18x is USB2. And not normal USB2, it requires its own driver. So
> please confirm that the proper driver is attached to your /dev/ttyUSB0.
>
> Many USB2 do not like USB3, so try to connect directly to a USB port, with
> no hub or extenstion cord.

The box doesn't have USB3. It is older dual-core, times are tough.

> > Sent with Proton Mail secure email.
>

> Not very secure now...

Oh, great... :|

Anoduck