Re: [Groff] meta macro package

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] meta macro package
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:00:00 +0200 (CEST)

> For example, I get an awful lot of warnings when the document
> renders; 'Can't break line' is the major one. But I can't find out
> why, and the document appears to have been rendered correctly. Any
> suggestions as what to look for for this?

If your macro definitions aren't too weird you can try the trace.tmac
file to improve debugging:

  groff -ww -Tps -m trace -m meta foo > foo.ps 2> foo.log

> Another problem is that occasionally I want to turn off the
> end-of-page trap. For example, when rendering the footer, I want to
> create a minipage below the end of text, which means that any text
> output is going to trigger the trap, right? So I do a .vpt 0, but
> then I get lots of warnings about 'Page ejection could not proceed
> because vertical traps are disabled' and it doesn't work. There's
> something here I'm not fully grasping.

To really help you here I need a simple example of what you want to
do.  I don't have the time to analyze your macro package, sorry.

> And my final problem is that I want to be able to manually steer the
> cursor around and draw text in nf mode. I'm currently using this to
> set the location:
>
> .de SETX
> \h'|(u;\\$1)'\c
> ..
>
> .de SETY
> .  sp |(u;\\$1)
> ..
>
> However, as you can see from the sample document, the graticules
> around the footer minipage are in the wrong place (they've been
> offset to the right for some reason). But the text appears in the
> right place. Any suggestions?

Again I need a simple sample.

> And finally: I've been mainly targeting Postscript and DVI, and they
> work fine. However, I also want it to work with plain text and HTML.
> Plain text nearly works, but HTML produces a horrible hash of
> embedded tables. Presumably grohtml is trying to do margins, but
> it's failing miserably. Can I fix this?

grohtml is still under construction; right now Gaius is working on a
new set of patches to improve tables.  Since the CVS is down
currently, I can't apply patches.  Please download the current
development version of groff a few days and test your macros.  It is
easily possible that you find new bugs...

    Werner