Re: [Groff] Smart quotes (and other excesses)

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Smart quotes (and other excesses)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 07:17:52 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tadziu Hoffmann" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 3:58 AM

> I daily see texts written with Word where Microsoft's "smart"
> quotes have backfired -- and the users are too stupid to either
> see the error or to correct it.

And even if one wants to correct it, it can be an impossible task. Namely,
in Spanish, the correct quote characters are « and » (U+00AB ==
guillemotleft and U+00BB == guillemotright), yet the smart quote "feature"
makes it impossible to do a search and replace on " and " (U+201C and
U+201D) to replace them for the correct typographical glyphs, not even when
turning the "smart quoting" misfeature off.