Re: [Groff] Research on word processor

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Research on word processor
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:54:13 +0100

Hi Jenna,

> I am researching on word processors that behave in a similar way to
> Microsoft word and that can generate word compatible documents. The
> application will run on our servers rather than at the clients end. So
> the application must be capable of running from the internet explorer
> and Firefox browsers.
>
> I would appreciate any advice regarding  groff and its capabilities

I don't think groff is relevant.  If takes a textual description of a
document, i.e. the document's text intermixed with commands describing
what to do, and produces things like PDFs for printing.  It doesn't
produce MS Word format files.

Take a look at Abiword.  It's a word processor that can read and write
MS Word files and it can be extended.  Perhaps you can make that do what
you want as your web server back-end.

    http://www.abisource.com/

Cheers,

Ralph.