Re: [Groff] Research on word processor

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [Groff] Research on word processor
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 23:27:59 +0200

Hi,

> I am researching on word processors that behave in a similar way to
> Microsoft word and that can generate word compatible documents. The
> application will run on our servers rather than at the clients end. So the
> application must be capable of running from the internet explorer and
> Firefox browsers.

Generally it's preferrable to create documents in standardized formats with
a publicly available specification, such as HTML and OpenDocument (ODF),
rather than in proprietary formats which inaccurate public specifications
(such as .doc).

Notwithstanding, you may
  - try a search on freshmeat.net,
  - have a look at OpenOffice.org and Apache POI version 3 [1].

groff is in a different category of word processor; it produces HTML and PS/PDF
output (among others).

Bruno

[1] http://poi.apache.org/