Re: [Groff] need help resolving groff error

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] need help resolving groff error
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 17:03:58 +0100

Hi charlie,

> We tried the suggestion below, and the grops error has stopped

Good.

> now we are only getting a troff permissions error...
>
> "Groff: couldn't exec troff: Permission denied"

As are others.  You'r running groff from Perl IIRC.  Does

    perl -le 'system("groff -v"); print $?'

work?  Here it ends with the versions of grops and then troff, and then
0 for $?.  I'd hope not, for some consistency.

It's clear groff can get grops to run else the earlier O_BINARY problem
wouldn't have been found.  Sticking with the above perl, what if you
swap grops.exe and troff.exe around beforehand;  grops should still be
run first but that's now troff and will report troff since it's
hardcoded in it.  The output order will be swapped;  troff then grops.

Is there any anti-virus/malware/... software installed that could be
watching what groff is doing and intercepting its attempt to run troff
because of some accidental hit against its rules?  Can it all be turned
off?

Cheers, Ralph.

P.S.  Separate from your problem, more for the list in general, I've
just noticed that this old groff's -V doesn't print a pipeline that
gives the same effect every time, e.g.

    $ groff -VVv
    GNU groff version 1.20.1
    GNU groff comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    You may redistribute copies of groff and its subprograms
    under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
    For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

    called subprograms:

    GNU grops (groff) version 1.20.1
    GNU troff (groff) version 1.20.1
    troff -v -Tps | grops -v