guix-devel

Brain storming cool Guix features

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Brain storming cool Guix features
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 07:11:13 -0500

I had some cool ideas/features for things that GuixSD could potentially
add, and I wanted to share.  Are any of these possible?

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(operating system
  (keymap  "dvorak")
  ...)
#+END_SRC

The above would make the bootloader, console, X, and wayland all use the
dvorak layout.  That would be a nice feature!  I currently use "dvorak",
and it's slightly annoying that grub uses qwerty.  :(

#+BEGIN_SRC
(user-account
   (name "joshua")
   (default-font "font-hack"))
#+END_SRC

The above would set a default font for the user joshua.

How about a hook that stores the user's profile of packages in a
manifest file after every package transaction (upgrade or downgrade)?

#+BEGIN_SRC
(user-account
        (name "joshua")
        (updates-in-manifest #t)
        (manifest-file "/etc/manifest.scm"))
#+END_SRC

How about automatic updates?  Since a guixSD user can always downgrade
to the previous version, it would be nice if it would automatically
update my user profile, root profile and reconfigure say once a week.

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(operating system
  (auto-upgrade #t)
  (auto-upgrade-interval 'once-a-week)