guix-devel

awesome window manager configuration

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: awesome window manager configuration
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 07:22:01 -0500

Hello!

I recently started using the awesome window manager, and I'm curious if
I can help edit the manual a bit.  The current manual does not mention
that to configure the awesome window manager, one must copy the
configuration from
/gnu/store/xmmqxby6bm...-awesome-4.2/etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua
to "~/.config/awesome/".

My question is for now, can I add that information to the manual?

My second question is what is the long term plan for integrating window
managers with guixSD?  Should be turn all window manager packages into
services?  ie:

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(service
  (cons
    (service awesome-service-type
      (awesome-config
        (config-file "/etc/rc.lua")))
    %base-services))
#+END_SRC

Or users could try to use a service to configure awesome...

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(service
  (cons
    (service awesome-service-type
      (awesome-config
        (bind-keys
           '(('eject . "eject")
             ('volume-raise . "command to raise volume")
             ('volume-lower . "command to lower volume")
             ))
         (default-layouts
            '("awful.layout.suit.max"
              "awful.layout.suit.tile.left"