guix-devel

Communication and Design at Guix

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Communication and Design at Guix
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 17:49:57 +0100

Hello Guix,

After taking some time learning Guix and trying to get some new packages
in, I wanted get involved in a slightly different way. I'm not good at
programming and I think my time might be better used participating in
tasks a little more inline with my skills.
The thing is that I find "design" and "communication" (take it in a very broad
way) often a little more complex and delicate to tackle in a group
project. This is why I'm introducing the idea with this mail.

I think the Guix project could benefit a lot from dealing with the
"rest of the world" and how it wants to show itself. It might even help
clarify some technical decisions if needed. Bonus is that next release
will probably be 1.0 and that it means Guix will get extra attention.

I have a few things I would like to talk about but, as I don't want to
force aniything on anyone, I wanted to first have your thoughts about this and
eventually what you guix people think would be nice to tackle on. (I
think I saw something about a wiki somewhere for example etc.)

By the way, I wanted to start working on the documentation.
IMHO, it might benefit from a little graphical enhancement for
newcomers. The thing is that it's currently hosted on
gnu.org so it's probably not possible to modify the design. So I wanted
to ask, first, if that's something that would be welcome? What could be
the possibilities? And what would be the technical limitations?

Thank you for your time,
Have a nice day,

Lprndn