guix-devel

Re: Communication and Design at Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Communication and Design at Guix
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 22:45:25 +0100

Hi swedebugia,

swedebugia <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> By the way, I wanted to start working on the documentation.
>>> IMHO, it might benefit from a little graphical enhancement for
>>> newcomers. The thing is that it's currently hosted on
>>> gnu.org so it's probably not possible to modify the design. So I
>>wanted
>>> to ask, first, if that's something that would be welcome? What could
>>be
>>> the possibilities? And what would be the technical limitations?
>>
>>The HTML pages at gnu.org/s/guix/manual are generated from Texinfo.
>>The
>>CSS there is shared with all the GNU manuals, which is nice for
>>consistency.  Ideally modifications of the CSS would be submitted to
>>the
>>GNU webmaster or address@hidden (I forgot which one).  However, be
>>aware that you may encounter misplaced conservatism if you take that
>>route, so don’t lose your hair on it.

[...]

> What about guix.info? We can do whatever we want there I suppose and just
> link to it from the gnu site.

Well in general we can always do whatever we want.  :-)  I do think
there’s value in presenting GNU manuals in a consistent way, though,
especially since Guix’ manual has cross-references to many other
manuals.

> Talking about CSS and the manual I would like to add patens highlighting.
> The chicken documentation has this (on mouse over) and it is really nice to
> be able to see how complicated expressions are composed.

Yes I’d love that too!  It should be doable for the address@hidden Texinfo
bits.

Thanks,
Ludo’.