guix-devel

Re: Unofficial Neovim channel

From: HiPhish
Subject: Re: Unofficial Neovim channel
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 13:59:10 +0100

> I wonder why you felt the need to have that channel?
Two points: the package in Guix is lagging behind in release, and I don't know
enough yet about Guix to submit patches on a whim. So I made a channel to first
try thing out for myself before submitting them to Guix. If I mess something
up in my channel that's my problem, but if I mess up something in Guix then it
reflects badly on all of Guix. I could have just left the channel local to my
hard drive (as I had in the past), but making it public allows more people to
have a look at it.

I guess most (all?) Guix package maintainers use Emacs instead of Vim or
Neovim, but I use Neovim as my daily driver, so I'm more likely to catch if
something is wrong. For example, I noticed that the Guix Neovim package is
using Lua 5.2 libraries has its inputs, whereas you need Lua 5.1 libraries
(Lua is not backwards-compatible). I had also submitted Lua 5.1 packages of
lua-lpeg and lua-libmpack to Guix in the past.

> What's the difference between your definition and guix' definition?
Currently not much, only being three releases ahead and having the correct
dependencies. (Lua 5.2 generally works as well, but you never know when an
obscure edge-case might bite you in the rear)