guix-devel

Re: Current state of cargo-build-system

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Current state of cargo-build-system
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 11:46:54 +0000

Ludovic Courts transcribed 1.9K bytes:
> Hello Ivan,
>
> Ivan Petkov <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > I'm new to both Guix and Guile/Scheme and decided to get my feet wet by
> > attempting to package a non-trivial Rust crate into Guix.
>
> Cool, thanks for getting in touch!
>
> > This seems like something others have tried before me with varying degrees
> > of
> > success (I found this thread from a few years ago which doesn't seem to have
> > resolved in any way
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-01/msg00306.html
> > <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-01/msg00306.html>).
> > I ran into a host of issues myself, but I was able to prototype some changes
> > which allowed me to make some progress. Happy to keep hacking on this, but
> > ultimately I need some insight/guidance on the proper ways to build this
> > out in
> > Guix :)
>
> I think Danny and maybe ng0 (Cc’d) may be those the most familiar with
> Rust in Guix.

Not really. I know there were some tickets and bugs/features left to be worked
on,
but that's about it. Other people took over work, and I'm mostly involved in
other projects now (pkgsrc, GNUnet, TALER admin, university, my package manager
work, etc).
But I can try to answer questions.

> > But before I propose any new changes, I wanted to check, what is the current
> > state cargo/crates in Guix from a community perspective?
> >
> > Are there any philosophical or technical blockers that preclude pulling in
> > packages from crates.io, or is it just a matter of chipping away at the
> > problem?
>
> I don’t think there are any “philosophical” blockers: as long as this is
> free software, which I believe is the case for most packages on
> crates.io, there shouldn’t be any problems.
>
> As for the technical issues, I don’t know.  I remember David Craven, who
> wrote ‘guix import crate’, didn’t do a mass import back then, but then
> the ‘rust’ package in Guix was also nascent at the time so perhaps there
> were other problems that have been resolved since then.

Yeah, I haven't tried re-importing my rust packages tree. Maybe it's better now
for a fraction
of those.