guix-devel

Re: Current state of cargo-build-system

From: Ivan Petkov
Subject: Re: Current state of cargo-build-system
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 08:23:25 -0800

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 12:44 AM, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Outputs are only generated when building the package.
>
> If all you need is the source code, however, you can use (package-source
> the-package) and use the resulting value as an input to another package.

Thanks Ricardo, I think this is what I was looking for!

In the case of cargo, I think it we still need to processes the input tarball
into
the right format to get vendored correctly, but the build system should know
enough
about how to perform the vendoring steps anyway, so this is a step in the right
direction.

—Ivan