guix-devel

What is the philosophy behind shepherd?

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: What is the philosophy behind shepherd?
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2019 14:30:07 -0500

I must preface this email with the assurance that there is no agenda
behind my questions; only ignorance and curiosity. Please read it with
that in mind!

A couple weeks ago, I was watching a video called "The Tragedy of
Systemd"[1]. In it, Benno Rice discusses the need for a so-called
"system layer" which is responding to the many complicated signals
coming into a system from thing happening (e.g. networks becoming
available/unavailable, VPNs mucking with DNS and routing tables, etc.).
He characterizes systemd and things like it as something that lives
between kernel-space and user-space.

It really opened my eyes to why something like systemd exists rather
than sticking with the old-style init systems.

Does Shepherd take the stance that it is, or is to become a "system
layer"?

If so, one of the criticisms he has for systemd is that instead of
pulling in protocols for things (e.g. DNS), and allowing best-of-breed
software to handle the implementation, it has pulled in the
responsibility for implementation as well. Any thoughts on that?

[1] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
--
Katherine