guix-devel

Re: ‘staging’ and GNOME updates

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: ‘staging’ and GNOME updates
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 23:13:13 +0200

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> I just tested the new(er) GNOME on staging and unfortunately it is *not*
> working.  I reconfigured my workstation which previously also used
> GNOME.
>
> I see a mouse pointer appearing, but gnome-shell never seems to properly
> start.  (I’m using auto-login, so I don’t see the GDM login prompt first.)
>
> It would be good to see if this can be reproduced in a stateless system,
> e.g. a virtual machine.

Yesterday I did:

  guix pull -p test-staging --branch=staging

and then tested:

  ./test-staging/bin/guix system vm gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl

with:

$ ./test-staging/bin/guix describe
Generacio 3     09 Apr 2019 17:19:31    (nuna)
  guix 0eb01ff
    URL du dépôt : https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branche: staging
    commit : 0eb01ff5bbb69944c89d86b1612f5f057dede023

Everything in the VM seems to work, as discussed on IRC.

So this suggests that the problem may have to do with state kept
somewhere in GSettings or who knows what.

Could you share logs from /var/log/messages, /var/log/gdm/greeter.log,
and anything that may be relevant?

Thanks,
Ludo’.