guix-devel

Re: Translation of the Guix manual & node names

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Translation of the Guix manual & node names
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 09:31:59 +0200

Le Wed, 24 Apr 2019 08:44:14 +0200,
"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> a écrit :

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 02:11:23AM +0800, Meiyo Peng wrote:
> > I will improve the manual gradually.  As I said before, I have no
> > experience with i18n.  I only learned the usage of @ref, @xref and
> > @pxref until yesterday.  And there are still many new things to
> > learn.
>
> I wonder what is correct.  @xref is for “*Note Some section”, @pxref
> is for “*note: Some section“ and @ref is for … “*note: Some section”
> as well?  I started to translate all @xref and @pxref with @ref but it
> still produces the English word “note” in the Info reader.

That's probably because the language is still declared as English. As
soon as you declare the language as something else, these generated
texts should be OK too. If you look at the French po, you will find
this:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:7
msgid "@documentencoding UTF-8"
msgstr ""
"@documentencoding UTF-8\n"
"@documentlanguage fr\n"
"@frenchspacing on"

@documentlanguage … is what you want to add. @frenchspacing is for
displaying only one space between sentences in generated files which is
the correct way to do it in French.

Maybe we could automate that a bit?