Re: [Health] Vocabulary - Snomed CT, LOINC

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] Vocabulary - Snomed CT, LOINC
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:23:05 -0300

2011/11/3 Cédric Krier <address@hidden>:
> On 03/11/11 14:57 -0300, Luis Falcon wrote:
>> 2011/11/2 lemoene <address@hidden>:
>> > Still ramping up, more newbie questions: Was a standard vocabulary such as
>> > LOINC or Snomed used in GNU Health's design? Please share any pointers,
>> > tips
>> > & tricks
>> >
>> I'm open to use any free standard that has a wide adoption. The
>> vocabulary then will be part of the localization project for the
>> health_lab. It would be good to share the same as with Bika Labs.
>>
>> So if it's free and widely used, we'll be happy to use it.
>
> I guess you mean open standard
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Open_standard

I used the "free" (as an Freedom) standard on purpose. If you look at
the Wiki description of "open standard" there are quite many
definitions, including Microsoft ;-)

I like the European Union definition of the Standard. The problem with
that concept is that only guarantees interoperability among the EU....
we need standards to be used in all countries of the world.

That's part of the reason that we adopt the WHO coding for diseases
and essential medicines.

I would love to see the same for interoperability, in clinical
records... many countries have their own system... but hopefully
someday something truly free will emerge.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

--
Luis Falcón